When it comes to choosing between window treatment styles, it mostly depends on personal taste and needs. Many homeowners tend to mistake blinds for shades and vice versa; knowing the difference between them will help you make a clever decision when it comes to purchasing some.
Below you will find how to differentiate between blinds, shades, and shutters; keep reading!
Spot The Differences
Blinds usually fall into the “hard” category of window treatments. Blinds typically have louvers that rotate back and forth to keep light and privacy controlled; the slats hang vertically or horizontally, allowing you to lift them up and down or side to side. Blinds are normally the most economical window treatment option.
They are all about controlling light, airflow, and privacy. They work well when paired with other window treatments like drapes or fixed drapery panels.
- Types of Blinds
These are some of the most common types of blinds:
- Horizontal Blinds move up and down, with the main section running horizontally between the two sides of the frame. The tilt wand or cord turns the slats to let light into your desired amount. The most common styles are Faux Wood and Mini Blinds.
- Vertical Blinds move from side to side and work well on wide openings such as sliding doors or ground to ceiling windows. They also work well for partitioning sections of a room.
Shades are considered a soft window treatment that gives you freedom regarding design, textures, color, and pattern. Since they are made of fabrics, the sea of options is infinite.
Shades are raised and lowered to control light and privacy, making them very versatile and attractive for adding beauty to your windows.
Types of Shades:
Here are three of the most used types of shades:
- Roller Shades As the name implies, they roll up and down. There are multiple headrail and valance choices as well as hundreds of fabric options from solar screens, to decorative to blackout. We are here to comfortably guide you through the many choices.
- Honeycomb Shades are both an insulating and light controlling product. We offer 100’s of fabric options including dual fabric honeycomb shades that permit light to pass on the top and 100% privacy on the bottom. They are also available as a vertical product for patio doors and large openings
- Other shades include, Natural Wood Woven Shades (Gorgeous!); Sheer Shadings, Striped (aka Zebra) Shades, Roman Shades
- Plantation Shutters are the Crème de la crème of window treatments. They are like getting furniture for your windows. Sapphire Shades and Shutters offers only the best quality shutters ranging from the world’s best selling composite shutter to climate appropriate wood shutters with custom colors and stains.
All custom made for your windows including specialty shapes.